Career advancement is something we all want. It feels good to do well. It feels even better when we’re recognized for it. How do we achieve it? It might be more simple than you think.
Today we are talking with Aaron Pechota about career advancement, career fit, career transitions and many other things. Aaron began his career as a middle market investment banker but quickly realized it wasn’t a great fit for his lifestyle, his career goals or his strengths. After Aaron decided to leave the banking world, he pursued a career as a commercial real estate developer with The NRP Group and has done very well.
As soon as you hear Aaron speak, you will understand why he has been successful. He is living proof that career advancement comes to those people who work hard, have a great attitude, are relentless (in a constructive way), remain positive and bring energy to their work.
In this episode:
- Aaron’s path from undergrad to graduate school to investment banking to commercial real estate development
- How investment banking can help you understand how business really works
- A real, unfiltered view of what it is like to be an investment banking analyst
- The importance of knowing yourself so you can assess which career in finance will fit you best
- A down and dirty approach to pursuing a new career that gets results
- The willingness of people to help when you have passion, enthusiasm and confidence
- Importance of first impressions and understanding your audience’s expectations
- Researching people before a meeting, interview, etc.
- The process of finding, developing and stabilizing (renting out) a piece of land
- Being relentless when pursuing a piece of land (or career advancement)
- Dealing with the day-to-day unknowns in any deal business
- Leaving a career legacy of honesty, professionalism and treating people the right way
- How positive affirmations and motivational media can charge your batteries and aid in career advancement
- Imparting a positive attitude on the people in your life
You may enjoy this video about a day in the life of a developer, featuring Aaron.
Music by Elijah from NOMADS