Whether you are changing careers or trying to get to the next level, confidence is key. But where does it come from? How can you become more confident?
Alberto Arroyo is a Senior Leadership Development Professional with University Hospitals. He is also on the coaching team with the Finish Well Group, an organization that helps leaders flourish. Alberto is a friend – we essentially hit record as we were exploring the topic of confidence.
It’s probably not news to you that you need confidence in yourself. You need it to find a job or make a career change. You need it in your daily work with clients and colleagues. And you need it to get noticed and promoted.
But as you advance your career, you’ll also need to develop your ability to identify it in other people. You’ll want to hire people with a certain level of confidence. As you lead others, you’ll want to be able to instill it in others or help people when they’re struggling.
Confidence is a complicated part of being human, yes, but it’s important enough to work on. Our career and life satisfaction and performance depend on it.
In this episode:
- What it means to have confidence
- How difficult it is to identify a truly confident person
- The dangerous extremes of overconfidence and insecurity
- How to develop more confidence through our experiences
- The link between learning, growing and confidence
- Why we all need to increase our self awareness
- 3 important questions every professional needs to ask herself
- Blending your inner “artist” with your inner “accountant”
- The human desire to have a linear life and career
- Your career is a journey with ups and downs, but it can still have a rhythm
- How humility is embedded in true confidence
- The opposition you’ll face when you achieve great things
- Why we need to develop mental toughness
- The importance of community and developing deep relationships
- How to deal with negative thoughts and doubts in high stakes situations
- Overcoming our insecurities to live authentic lives
- The toxicity of comparing yourself to other people
- Alberto Arroyo’s LinkedIn Profile
- Finish Well Group – Alberto Arroyo
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, by Carol Dweck
Music by Elijah from NOMADS